Wednesday 25 June 2014

DIY Crop Tops!!!




So I found some old swimming costumes of my little sisters that were way too small for any of us to fit in, so I decided to do some DIY. Its summer, I have a lot of free time so why not? These crop tops are super cute! They're a perfect idea for going on holidays or just for chilling at home during the summer months.  Swimming costumes are good to use as they are designed to cling to your skin and you don't need to stitch up at the bottom of the top. 

I am really not good at doing step by step details of things, I always feel like I ramble on and make no sense, so I will do my best to help. 

Step 1: Measure the swimming costume up against you, and in one side of the costume, cut a small hole at the height you want your crop top to be. Measure with a ruler or something with a straight edge, where the opposite side would match up to and cut a small hole in the other side.

Step 2: Cut across from one hole to the other. Do this on the front and back of the costume. Make sure to stretch the material so that it is a straight line with no rugged edges.

Step 3: Trim off any jagged edges. And voila, you are ready to go!

You can now wear this as a crop top for going out or just a casual top with high waisted jeans or something! Or you could also use the bottoms and make a 2 piece swimming costume! It is up to you what you decide to do with it! Get creative! 


 




Got an old t-shirt of your Dads? Brothers? Boyfriends? They're going to throw it out? STOP THEM NOW! You can reuse it and make a cool crop top! 

Step 1: Mark off where you want to crop top to end and make your cut off marks an inch or so below that.

Step 2: Repeat the steps from the first crop tops. 

Step 3:  Cut a line, about an inch in length, in the middle on the front, just above the line you have just cut. This is to be used to tie the other sides across. 

Step 4: Take 2 bits of material from either side of the shirt, and tie a not through the hole you have just cut down the middle of the top. And there you go, a cute crop top! PS. excuse lines on my belly, I was sitting over for ages cutting the tops lol. But who cares? ;) 





Thanks everyone, hope you enjoyed this post! If you recreate these looks, put a photo on instagram and tag me in it! Username, xxxlmgigglesxxx , surprise surprise!!

Thanks, 
Lucy xo

2 comments:

  1. Love these Ideas! I love crop tops, and I honestly ever would have thought of doing this if I didn't come across your post! :)

    meyouandhayleylarue.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words! :) I'm getting really into DIY so there should be more to come! :) if you decide to recreate this look please upload to instagram and tag me in it! I would love to see everyone else's creativity! :)

      Delete